Marilyn Leek NASMM@HOME Specialist Designation
In conjunction with the National Association of Senior Move Managers aging in place initiative, NASMM@HOME, Marilyn Leek earned the NASMM@HOME Specialist designation at NASMMs recent 2016 Annual Conference in San Antonio, TX.
“Extensive research indicates future generations of older adults, including the population we currently serve, are less inclined to move to senior living communities in later life than the World War II/Depression era generation,” said Mary Kay Buysse, NASMM’s Executive Director. “NASMM members who earn the NASMM@HOME Specialist designation can now effectively assist clients who need to move, as well as those who prefer to remain in their homes.”
According to Marilyn Leek at Chesapeake Transitions, “Moving may not be the best decision for an older adult or aging family member right now — due to personal choice, financial considerations, etc. But they may still desire a change. Later in life, our homes can often become cluttered with our ‘stuff,’ and it’s natural to be overwhelmed by the daunting prospect of downsizing, de-cluttering, organizing, and discarding. As a NASMM@HOME Specialist, I can help older adults adapt their home for who they are now!”
As a NASMM@HOME specialist, Marilyn assists older adults and their families with numerous downsizing and simplifying tasks in a current home. Marilyn applies the same coordinated, compassionate downsizing and home safety techniques to help clients STAY in their home as we do to help them move.
“Senior Move Managers provide guidance, encouragement, and hands-on help,” said Buysse. “We understand the physical and emotional stresses associated with later lifestyle changes, as well as the ethical, safety, legal and communication issues that accompany working with older adults. Our focused services accomplish a great deal in very little time, so you save both time and money. The end result: You are happier with how your existing home looks and feels!”
As a NASMM@HOME Specialist, Marilyn Leek can help with some or all of these tasks:
• Define your vision: “Where do we begin?” We can help you prioritize what areas need work.
• Create a floor plan and repurposing your existing space so it works better for you NOW.
• Decide what will be donated, sold or discarded and execute your wishes.
• Determine your future needs by simplifying your lifestyle ~ gaining the freedom to live the life you want. (For example, the things you use daily must be in easy-to-access places.)
• Recommend and oversee home modifications.
• Provide guidance with assistive technologies.
• Explore home care maintenance concerns.
• Reduce home safety concerns and eliminate common in-home hazards.